Saturday, October 22, 2011

Days of Flying

I've recently been flying to and from a location in one day lately. 

Last week, I flew to central Oregon for a job interview.  I had to get up way before dawn, but I had a few hours in the airport to grade.  I waited around, toured, presented, and interviewed for several hours, then went back to the airport.  By then, I was pretty tired and didn't get much grading done.  I got back to southern California at midnight that night.  And went to work the next day!  Okay, okay, I went to work a few hours late so that I could sleep in.

Today, I'm flying  up to central California for a union meeting.  Again, I was up before dawn.  I was also up before dawn yesterday to grade.  This is not a happy pattern.  :( 
I'll be at the meeting through the evening, then get back to SoCal by 8pm. 

What really sucks about this trip is that I have to miss a great Halloween party.  The RPG that I play a strong woman in Victorian England (but with monsters) is having a ball, in character, and playing the game.  Essentially, it's a LARP.  It sounds so fun, a one-time LARP with a character that I've play for year!  But, alas, getting to LAX at 8pm doesn't give me much time to get there, and get in a Victorian costume.  :(  I'm pretty irritated that the committee chair set up a meeting so close to Halloween.  It's my first meeting of this committee, though, so I pretty much need to be there.

With al of these one-day trips, I'm starting to get a little nervous about flying.  Flying 6-8 times a year (each way) seems reasonable, but flying twice in a day seems like I'm asking for an accident.  With any luck, one of these job interviews will take, and I'll be lots close to my family and not need to fly so much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment