Monday, August 6, 2012

One Hour Choir

Yesterday was my last Sunday at my current congregation.  Although I stayed up too late watching their production of "8", I really wanted to go to the Sunday service.  Additionally, this past Sunday was the one-hour choir!  That means that interested congregants show up an hour and a half before the service, learn a couple of songs, then sing them at the service.  I love this concept.  It's a good way for me to be able to participate in the choir without having to commit to one evening a week for years. 

Although, it was difficult to get up that morning.  Even for the One Hour Choir.

But, I did.  I was a little nervous.  I took that singing class, but have never been in a choir.  The music director taught us a song, then realized that she had more people in the choir than solo parts.  She asked who would not want to solo.  I thought that I heard her wrong because no one raised their hand.  Heck no, I don't want to solo!  So I raised my hand.  Phew, got out of that one! 

On the next song, she had me singing with two other women.  After we sang our part, she asked if I could go higher.  Like an octave higher.  Okay, may be it wasn't that high.  But still.  I looked at her with giant, amazed eyes.  I think that she understood: No, I can not sing that higher.  So she switched the trios around a bit to get me a lower part.  Phew, another save!

In the end, it was really fun, and we sounded good.  A nice experience. My next congregation will be TINY, so I'm glad that I did this while I could.

Although it's strange to think that I sang in a church choir.  May be I should find the songs that we sang so that you would know how not Christian-right-y we are...

No comments:

Post a Comment