Thursday, January 19, 2012

Toilet Paper

This blog epitomizes the phrase "pointless anecdote."  Fair warning.

I always go to the same stall in the bathroom at work.  It's the most used stall, which is a bit icky, but I won't go to the handicap stall, and the other one is in the middle of the two.  Isn't it the Bathroom Rule that you try to put an empty stall between you and the next person? 

Anyway, in "my" stall, the toilet paper dispenser has the option of using one of two different rolls.  I prefer the forward roll; somehow, it seems easier to use.  But I try to use the second roll, I think, because I assume that others probably use the forward roll, too.  Why should it matter, though, which roll that others use?

I want to use the less-used roll because, somewhere in my addled mind, it balances things out.  By using that roll, when others are using the other one, I'm doing my part to make the universe more symmetrical.  It sounds crazy, huh?  But wait.
Under that addled mind, or may be deep, deep inside it, is this unconscious belief that the second roll is sad because no one uses it.  I don't want the second roll to be lonely! 

That is why I use the second toilet paper roll, even though I prefer using the first one. 

I think this whole blog says a lot about my personality, don't you?

3 comments:

  1. Haha. I use the one with the toilet paper forward because I think less people have touched the paper on top since you can unroll it easier. We all have quirks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I can't stop thinking about these questions :)
    I always use the stall farthest from the door. If my dog is with me, it's the handicapped stall because there is an easy place to hook her leash. Research has shown that the stall furthest from the door gets used the least, so it's a germ a-phobe thing for me.
    I use the roll with the least paper because I want to help it get used up. I don't like the idea of some unused paper getting thrown away because the building needs to be ready for the next day.
    I agree, it's polite to not pick the stall next to one in use if there are other options.

    ReplyDelete