Sunday, January 4, 2015

Into The Woods

I watched the 2014/2015 released movie Into the Woods this past weekend.  I've seen the live version a couple of times, but was really impressed with the singers.  Especially the kids.  And Meryl Streep!!!  I did not know that she could sing like that!  [I hope that it was really her singing, and not dubbed.  I'd feel pretty let down if that were the case...]

But the reason that this movie, out of the many that I watch, gets review is not just the great singing by all of the actors.  It's because the movie was surprisingly sexist for modern standards.  I get that it's supposed to be in medieval times or whatever, but so was Frozen and that movie didn't kill off many of the women characters.  One even died after kissing someone who wasn't her husband in Into the Woods!  Talk about traditional violence against women who like sexuality!  From my memory, only one man died.  And he wasn't a main character.  But two women who were main characters died, and one important-but-not-main character who was a woman also died.

I just don't understand why Hollywood can't see by some of the big money-making movies of the past few years that the public WANTS female characters, and not ones that die easily and quickly.  Especially after kissing someone!

I guess it's good that the story shows after "happily ever after," and how what you wish for may not be what you really want.  That's an important message, especially for so many Disney movies in which the one woman character only wants to marry a man (whom she probably just met, or hasn't met yet!).

Also, everyone was white.  :(

So, I guess this is one of those movies in which there are a lot of strong female characters, but they still are treated more harshly than the male characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment