Monday, January 10, 2011

Auntie Day 2008

[Somehow I've lost Auntie Day 2007?!]


Auntie Day was another success this year!  Oh, you haven't heard of Auntie Day?  Well, that's because my family made it up because I am a very, very, VERY involved aunt and I kept complaining that there's no day to celebrate me.  Like there's Grandparent's Day, Father's and Mother's Day, there's even Boss's and Arbor Day!  But nothing for us devoted aunts.

Last year was a Star Wars theme (my sister likes themes).  This year was SuperWoman.




They first took me out to lunch (my choice), and I chose a restaurant that my sister never lets us go to.  But after going, she decided that she likes it!  Then we went to her house, and I stayed out in the slush while they got everything ready.  When I walked in, the three kids had on capes with the Superman "S" on it, and Alicia Keys's Superwoman was playing.  I even got to wear an S on my chest!  There was a notepad with the S on it, and each kid wrote something in it.  D. wrote that he loved me, A. wished me a happy Auntie Day, and K. said that I had super auntie powers!  There were also decorations with the S, and I got dominoes with Spiderman on them.  My Mom got me a Starbucks card to take the kids out with.  They also went around the table and said what they liked about Auntie.  I learned that they like when I play soccer with them, so we'll do more of that when it warms up.

My favorite part, though, was the whole family lip-syncing to Superwoman.  The boys danced, K. was shy, my sister belted it out, my brother-in-law rocked the air bass, and my Mom wore one of those head-mics, but for a kid so it looked super-funny.  As many of you know, I am a sucker for shameless.  And that rendition was definitely all about being shameless.  I loved it.  It means a lot when people are willing to embarress themselves for you, you know?



My sister said that she's running out of theme ideas, so I suggested do a teacher one when I get a teaching job.  Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment