Monday, January 10, 2011

Auntie Day 2009

Since my niece will be out of town on our official Auntie Day this year, we re-scheduled for yesterday.  It felt strange to me to celebrate it on the wrong day, even though the whole holiday is just something that we made up.  We picked the 28th as a convenient date, not that it had any real significance or anything.

Anyway, to fit Auntie Day in, we had lunch and watched a movie before going to my Gram's.  Gram Nite is every Wednesday, no matter what the real or created holiday.  This year's Auntie Day theme was Star Trek since we all had watched the new movie together when it came out.  My sister did a wonderful job with the theme.  She had us competing to see who could speak the most Klingon and all of the food had Star Trek names.  The plomeek soup was not the traditional Vulcan recipe (as described by Neelix in his cookbook), but she still put in a lot of effort to make the day special.

I brought 3 Star Trek movies to choose from to watch, and my sister chose First Contact.  We fast-forwarded a part when the Borg Queen and Data were talking about sex, and there was more swearing than was necessary, but I think that it was okay for the kids.  I did have to explain a lot to them, like about what and who the Borg were, that Picard had been previously assimilated, etc., too.  What struck me about the Borg was that they were an interesting combination of zombies and robots, plus a little vampire thrown in (at least in the movie when they assimiliated crewmembers by puncturing their necks with two tiny tubes).  So Star Trek was ahead of the zombie-craze curve.

Although I get embarrassed by talk of how I'm a good aunt, I do enjoy that part; this Auntie Day was a little more focused on the theme of Star Trek than on me as an aunt.  All in all, another good Auntie Day, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment