Monday, February 21, 2011

Giving Blood

Posted on MySpace on October 13th, 2008


One of the last times that I gave blood, I passed out.  Apparently a low-carb granola bar doesn't count as "lunch". 
But then the next three or four times, I was rejected for low iron.  I did everything that I was supposed to do to keep my iron.  Like avoid caffeine prior to donating, to eat high-iron foods, take vitamins, etc.  Still, too low all of those times. 
So last week at the blood drive at work, I decided to try again.  If nothing else, I would get some time away from my desk to fill out the paperwork.  So I didn't have coffee for a few days (torture!) and I ate a big burger the day before (because I hadn't had a lot of red meat lately).  I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to because I was on my period. 
While filling out the paperwork, a young student next to me kept asking me questions about giving blood.  She was nervous and it was her first time.  So I would read, "Have you ever had sex for money or drugs?" and then I would hear "How long does it take?"
No.  Not long once you're in there, the longest part is waiting and the paperwork.
"In the past year, have you had sex with someone who has spent more than 6 months in Africa since 1990?"  "Does it hurt?"
No.  It pinches at first.  The needle is long, so it's best not to look at it while it's going in. 
"In the past year, have you had sex with someone who has had sex with someone who has spent more than 6 months in Africa since 1990?"  "This is my first time."
No.  Well, good for you for doing it even though you're scared.
It was a 2 hour wait, but I was bumped up because I was staff.  When the nurse-type-person talks to you about your eligibility, I've been asking them to test my iron first and test it with the spinny-thing, not just the chemical drop test (the spinny-thing is more accurate).  So I did that, then she checked my forms and said that I could go in.  Yay!  After 3 attempts I get to actually do it again!  The no-coffee and the burger probably helped, but I attribute my higher iron to, well, the iron pills that I've been taking almost daily for several months. 
I realized as I was on the cot that it's better to donate at a blood bank, though, because the chairs are more comfy and they have a TV.  Instead I was looking at all of the past student council presidents of the college.  For like almost an hour.  Marlene was the first woman president, in 1978. 
As my phlobat....  blood-taker-person was inserting the needle, she squirted some of my blood.  She said that I had juicy blood.  :)  She looked on my clothes to try to see if you had squirted on them.  She left briefly and came back, saying that she had a co-worker see if she had my blood on her face.  Ew.  Perhaps she even squirted some of the photos of those past presidents.  I'm just excited to have juicy blood
I was also excited to finally get a cup of coffee after several days after I was finished, but she said to just drink water for the rest of the day (and avoid exercise).  Dang.  So I just ate the obligatory cookies and juice.  No passing out this time, woot!  I called folks because: a)  I was excited to have juicy blood; b) I was killing time until my little friend had started her donation.  I was wasting more and more time and it still wasn't her turn.  Finally, she gets in, so I wander around a bit, waiting for the needle to be inserted to let her tell me how easy it was.  When I go up to her, she says that she's not giving blood.  Huh?  You're on the table, you've been cleared, she might've even had the needle in her arm!  Since I don't actually know this person, I don't ask why, I just compliment her again on trying, and wish her luck on her next attempt.  Weird.
Juicy blood.
Juicy, juicy, juicy blood.
Squirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment