Friday, June 3, 2011

Au Natural

My sister told me a story about having to bring a different pair of pants to my niece at school, right away, early one morning.  My sister is NOT a morning person, and the school seemed to have a serious dress code.

She brought the pants right away, but she in no way got ready.  She said that she was wearing sweats, a low-cut tank top (no bra), no make-up, and I'm sure her hair was just pulled back in a ponytail (at best; I know that my bangs get super-crazy some mornings).  When my niece went out to pick up the pants, some friends were with her.  My sister was adamant that they not come to the van and see her.  She's usually very social and welcoming with youth, so this is out of the ordinary.

I feel bad for her that she seems to so dislike the way that she looks that she won't be her enthusiastic and social self when she's not "put together."  I get that some clothes might not be appropriate, of course.  But pull the shirt up a little, and go for it!  It's important for kids, especially pre-teen girls, to see that women, even the same woman, are both glam and natural.  I don't like that my sister seems to feel that if she doesn't have her chunky jewelry and eye shadow that she's not presentable, not attractive.  Both of those looks are who she is.  She is both the made-up and accessorized woman AND a woman who faces the world with a naked face and casual clothes.  But, sadly, may be she's not facing the world that way.  I believe that I am both a woman who gets glam (okay, accessories might be beyond me)

AND a woman who'll face the world au natural.  


Both looks are me.  Let the world come try to get me, whether I'm in a baseball cap and sneakers, or big boots and eye shadow.  I'll take it on.

*The first picture is from a costume party several years ago.  The second was from this year's AIDS Walk; we had to be there at 5am!

2 comments:

  1. boooooooooooooooooooooo my very funny reply was not posted. I HATE that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that sucks. I'm sure it was very, very funny!

    ReplyDelete