Thursday, June 16, 2011

Writing to a Writer

I was reading a Star Trek novel (I know, big geek speaking here), and was bothered by how the main character felt like he loved one of the female characters, but all he really knew about her was what she looked like and some of her promiscuous past.  Not really a perspective that I relish.  When I finished the book, I saw the author's email at the back of the book.  So I decided to write.  And he wrote back to me!  So here's my short email conversation with Steven Barnes:

Me:
Mr. Barnes,

Since you put your email at the end of your book, I decided to write to you.  Even though this book is over a decade old!

I loved how Far Beyond the Stars compared the experiences of African Americans in the mid-20th century to the experiences of Blacks in the 24th century.  However, I was less impress with how you represented women.  In particular, Jenny.  At best, she seemed like a prize fought for between Willie and Bennie.  At worst, Bennie's only interest in her was what she looked like and how sexual/sensuous she was.  Although this may be how teen boys approach the world, it was disappointing to have this intelligent character base his dream girl only on her looks.  What did they have in common, other than being Black?  Also, there didn't seem to be much motivation for Jenny to get together with Bennie, in particular.  She could have any guy in the area, why him?  In the end, she said that she loved him.  Why?  I didn't see anything in their relationship that might've made her feel that way.  Bennie seemed to pretty much treat her like other guys, having sex with her but not really having a relationship.  There didn't seem to be much growth of their relationship, just his thoughts. 

Anyway, Bennie's interaction with Jenny was problematic for me (so much so that I almost stopped reading when she was first described!), so I thought that I'd mention it.  Otherwise, I loved the social commentary on racism, and I thought that Cassie was a great character. 

Thank you for your time,

Him:
If I were to write that book today, I might alter that, or not.  I'm honestly not certain.   Teenage boys--and men in general--certainly do put a lot of stock on looks, especially in the early stages of relationships, and it is exactly as shallow as women's interest in power.  Both grow beyond it, in time.  Hopefully.

Steve

Me:   
Wow, thanks for writing back!  I expected that email to go into some forgotten cyber black hole!  Well, even though Bennie's perspective of Jenny bothered me, it was great to remind Trekkies that racism was real, and that we still need to work against it to reach the future that we've all been imagining.

Even if he didn't say anything about being more fair to his female characters, it was nice to at least get a response! 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment