Monday, June 25, 2012

Room Themes

This blog will talk about two of my family's norms.

First, we still do Christmas lists.  The rest of the family meets on the second Saturday of October at a pumpkin patch to get pumpkins, exchange lists (although most of us do this online now), and eat corn on the cob and elephant ears.  The kids' birthdays are in the summer so they don't get the benefit of this arrangement, but my sister, my brother-in-law, and I do. 

So we exchange lists, which should include items of varying expense and varying ease of acquisition.  I have a separate page of books, which my aunt has asked me to re-order twice.  First alphabetically, then by how much I want it. 

On my list, I also include my themes.  See, our family also has themes for each of our rooms.  My sister's kitchen in watermelon themed, and her bathroom is Victorian themed.  It used to be peach, so my aunts still call it The Peach Room.  As a student, I didn't really have themes.  I guess my general theme was "poor college student."  I tried to give color suggestions; those were my themes.  Awhile ago, I decided that my kitchen was going to be Finland themed.  The colors are Finnish flag blue, and I put a little Finnish flag up and some other Finn stuff that I have.  Sisu!
A year or two ago, I was trying to think of how to make my place less "poor college student"-esque.  I decided that my mismatch of picture frames was one issue, so I asked for only wooden frames.  That's sorta helped. 
Looking at potential apartments in my new location, I got excited because I can finally afford a two-bedroom apartment!!  And my new job provides a private office, which is unheard of for community college faculty.  So I reviewed my themes. 

I've decided for awhile that I'd like my bedroom to be rainbow themed.  It just makes sense.
With my new work office, I quickly decided that it should be science fiction themed.  I already have an R2-D2 USB port, and my pens are in a Darth Vader mug.  That was sorta an easy decision. 
With all of my pictures of the kids and my family, I decided that my living room should be family-themed.  The wooden framed pictures will look nice with my earth-tone furnishings.
My kitchen is already on its way to being Finnish, and my bathroom has been pastel-themed forever.  I based it off this wicker had that my longest friend made back in junior high or something.  I've always put it in my bathroom because I don't really do pastel.  I decided, after I stained my lavender bath mat with hair dye, that instead of pastel, I'd like my bathroom to be lavender.  That should help the mismatched look of all of the different pastel colors.  Especially the different shades of pink.  I'm just going to focus on the color lavender, but I'm sorta hoping that my family will also get things with the lavender flower on it.  I think that'll really set the look.
But since I've realized that I might get a two bedroom apartment, and thus my very own home office, I've struggled with the theme.  It can't be science fiction again!  Not only would that be redundant, but it requires that I decide, for each science fiction office supply, which office I put it in.  Oy, the agony.  No, that is not a feasible plan for me.  I bugged my roommate about it, and she came up with the perfect solution.

Superheroes.

That's PERFECT!!!  So my home office will be superhero themed.  I already know some pictures that'll go there (which is good, since they aren't family-themed or rainbow!), and am excited to look for a superhero desk set when I move!  It'll also allow me to focus the color my other furniture and decorations since so many superheros are red, white, and blue.  I also might throw in some green, too.  I'm SOOO excited by this idea!! I can't wait to get this stuff and start setting it up!

Less interestingly, my family, especially my mother, also has seasonal themes.  For example, a lot of my
Mom's winter and Christmas decorations are snowmen, while my sister's winter theme is snowflakes.  Even
though I don't decorate for most seasons, except for fall (Halloween!!!) and winter, I've still thought about
my themes.  Here they are: 
Fall/Halloween- pumpkins, 
Winter/Christmas- candy canes and Christmas cookies
Spring- eggs, bunnies
Summer- ??? sun?

In case you missed it, my family's norms are Christmas lists and themed house decorations.  
Now, who's going to buy me my first superhero office supply?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment