Sunday, December 12, 2010

1st 5k, sorta

Several months ago, I was pretty frustrated with my lack of weight loss.  I worked out all of the time, and ate relatively healthy (although always too much fat).  Through the motivation of The Biggest Loser and my friend Sunshine who ran a half-marathon, I decided that I had to start running.  I hate running.  I’ve always hated running.  In grade school, I would walk when everyone else would run to recess. 
So I started jogging on the treadmill at the gym.  My old personal trainer had said that I should lift for 30 minutes and do cardio for 25-35 minutes.  So I started jogging for 35 minutes.  When I started, I would jog for 5 minutes, then walk for a few, and alternate.  Now I can easily get a mile into it, sometimes a mile and a half, before I walk and take a breather.  Anyway, I realized that I was reaching 3 miles in my 35 minutes of walking and jogging.  It occurred to me that that’s what a 5k is, and that I should sign up for one.  So I did!  Sunshine was going to compete with me, but then she was too busy with school.  :(  I also started compiling a play list.  It turns out that I like show tunes, because it’s like a movie in my head.  I also like songs that express what’s going on in my life, if the beat is fast enough.   Eventually I started running on the streets every few weeks.  My first trip, I actually went for 4 miles, and was wondering why it took me so long and why I was so tired of jogging!  My time going 3 miles was slower on the streets than on the treadmill, but I was getting faster (mostly).  This isn’t much of a training schedule, but it was something.  Since I knew that I could do it, the training was just to get faster. 
So the day gets closer.  I’m still “training.”  Then I learn that headphones aren’t allowed on the course!  There’s too much bike traffic, and a narrow trail.  I start freaking out.  Remember how I hate running?  The only reason that I could keep going was my wonderful play list!  I have the Buffy musical on it!  I had all of P!nk’s albums!  I almost backed out, but then decided that I had been “training” and still wanted to go through with it.  The worst that would happen was that I would walk the whole thing.  A 3 mile hike isn’t rough, it’s just the running that I hate.  I knew that Sunshine would be waiting for me, though, and I didn’t want to take a long time. 
So the big day arrives (today!).  I brought my headphones just in case, and my phone (which also plays music, and you don’t even need headphones!).  But I didn’t need my music!  It was a more of a running hike than anything.  I later saw that I signed up for a 5k trail run, not just a 5k run.  Oy vay.  At least I hike somewhat regularly, so the hills weren’t too impossible.  They were rough, though, after having been jogging.  But since I was mostly hiking up hills or trying not to fall down hills, it was a hike with some jogging on the flat parts.  And I don’t need music to hike.  I noticed three things on my 3 mile run/hike:
  • I don’t like running up hills.
  • I  don’t like running down hills.
  • The view was beautiful, coming down over the ocean, right before the end.  But it was near the end, so I just wanted to keep going rather than stop to admire it.
So that was my first 5k trail run.  My time wasn’t as fast as my runs, but I figure that’s okay because I was hiking.  And it was hotter than expected, unseasonably hot, in the mid-80’s.  Had I expected that, I might’ve worn shorts.  I definitely would’ve worn a tank top.  I wore a Comic-Con blood donation t-shirt.  I wanted to be diverse, to show that I’m not just a runner.  I did wear pants (and undies) that I knew wouldn’t fall down; that has been a problem for me during my “training.”  Losing weight messes up your wardrobe!  I did rank in the top 100, although I’m not sure how many competed.  Now I’ve gotta do a real running 5k, before I consider what to do next.  But next up, the midnight run on New Year’s Eve!  Actually, I might’ve signed up for the 5k, so there you go. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on losing enough weight that your pants fall down. That is awesome! How long did that take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, can I comment now?
    So, yeah, I started running in May or June. I've been working out for years, though. I also used SparkPeople to review my nutrition starting in May, but don't use it much anymore.

    ReplyDelete