Friday, December 24, 2010

My Hero

As I watch my Gram dieing, I'm reminded of why she's my hero.

She's shown me who I want to be.  She's sweet, yet fiesty.  She has thousands of people who love her, sometimes it seems the whole county!  And then some across the country, and even in Europe and Guam!  She's made sure that she's surrounded by loving family, but also by loving friends.  We can all be that way, if we work at our friendships and relationships, and get out there to meet people.

I've also noticed ways that we're already alike. 
  • She was often unconventional.  If she wanted to do it, she did. Who says ladies shouldn't ride motorcycles?  She wanted to, so she did.  Women shouldn't work?  Well, she'll just be a welder during the war, then work at the post office.  Finns don't like Russia?  Well, she'll just learn Russian while getting her GED. 
  • She loved to try new things.  For her whole life, she always tried new things.  And I'm not just saying she figured out how to use a microwave or computer (or telephone or refrigerator), but she learned to fly (solo pilot flight at 65 years old), she sky-dived, she taught me yoga and racquetball well into her 80s.  
  • She's stubborn.
  • She loves coffee, villa, and butter.
  • She likes to exercise.
  • She liked school.

I can see how I'm like her in some ways, and in some ways I strive to be more like her.  Gram really is my hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment