Saturday, December 11, 2010

Recital

I've always wanted to learn to sing.  I enjoy music, and am loud.  I've wanted to learn how to hit the right notes.  For years I put it off because I put so much time in to school, but since I finally graduated, I thought that it was time.  I signed up for a Beginning Voice at my local community college this term.

I mostly hated the class.  At first it was scary.  I had to sing, in front of the class, alone!! 

Then it was offensive.  My teacher always talked about praying, and made us sing very Christian Christmas songs for our final.  I also had to go to Walmart to get an actual tape recording. 

Our final was a recital.  It was last night.

Surprisingly, it was sorta fun!  I didn't have to be too nervous because I wasn't singing a solo.  If I took the class again, I might try to do something with a trio or something.  Finding the right song would be difficult, though.  So I didn't sing a solo, but I was front and center.  So me.  I seem to like to be the vice president of things; let me be noticed, but don't make me have full responsibility! 

I think what helped me enjoy it was that I got to dress up!  I chose not to wear my sexy Santa outfit, but I did wear the gloves and shawl over a black dress.  I wanted to wear some big black boots, but knew that they'd kill me after standing for so long.  So I wore flat black boots.  ;)  I also wore my thigh-high stripey socks; they always make me happy.  When I was all dressed, it occurred to me that this might be a good time to wear one of my corsets.  On the inside!  What a novel idea.  But it was too much of a hassle.  I also wore my super-red lipstick and mascara.  I even shaved my arm pits; it was that special of a night.  ;)

I won't be taking the class next term, but I'll think about it in the future.  Or may be a similar class at a different school.  I was disappointed in the class because I didn't really learn how to hit the right notes, but I did learn things.  And boy, I like performances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment